Big Five

Foreign Scholars Information

KIBU recognizes that as an institution it may lack the full complement of staff needed to operate its programmes. In order to enhance the quality of products/outcomes of its academic programmes, KIBU encourages the pursuance of inter-university cooperation. KIBU has a programme that aims at promoting inter-university cooperation through academic mobility in form of exchange staff for serving as external examiners; teaching assignments; undertaking collaborative research assignments; participating at seminars, conferences and workshops; facilitating the use of sabbatical leave appointments and enhancing the quality of teaching and research in KIBU.

Inbound Faculty/Academic Staff Exchange

  1. The incoming staff member must be recommended by the office of International Linkage and Affairs and the host Department and be appointed as a Visiting Faculty by the VC. Any benefit accruing from such exchange, financial or otherwise shall be as per approved University Policy;
  2. Visiting Faculty to KIBU will continue to receive their full salary and benefits from their own institutions and will not be eligible for any relocation expenses and reimbursement from KIBU; and
  3. The hosting Department shall be responsible for assigning the teaching and Departmental duties and responsibilities to the Visiting Faculty member.

Maintaining Legal Status

There are required documentation and rules foreign scholars must follow in order to remain legally in Kenya. Foreign Scholars are required to abide by Kenya immigration regulations throughout their stay. Foreign Scholars are admitted to Kenya by the Immigrations Department for the purpose of being full-time scholars.  Penalties for violations of immigration law can be severe and include deportation, so it is extremely important for foreign scholars to understand their responsibilities.

International scholars  are normally admitted to Kenya for a given duration of Status. This means that they are allowed to remain in Kenya for as long as they “maintain legal foreign scholar status,” not for the length of time listed on their visa.

Listed on this page are the documents international scholars need to keep current while they are residing in Kenya, along with basic rules that they must follow in order to maintain legal scholars status in Kenya.


The passport is the legal document issued by your country of citizenship. It must be kept valid at all times during your stay in Kenya and must be valid at least 6 months into the future to re-enter Kenya or apply for a visa. The passport can usually be renewed through your home country’s Embassy or Consulate in the Kenya.

Work Permit

A Work Permit is a document issued by the Director of Immigration Services, under the provisions of section 40 of the Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act, 2011, to enable foreign national (s) enter Kenya and engage in trade, prospecting, farming, business, professional employment, missionary activities or even reside in Kenya.

Entry Visa

A visa giving official permission for non-Kenyan citizens to enter Kenya.

Immigration Employment Permit Information

This permit is issued to a person who is offered specific employment by a specific employer, the government of Kenya or any other person or authority under the control of the Government or an approved technical aid scheme under the United Nations Organization or some other approved Agency (not being an exempted person under section 34 (3), who is in possession of skills or qualifications that are not available in Kenya and whose engagement in that employment will be of benefit to Kenya.

Requirements for Application for Permit Class D: (Employment (KEP/D).)

  • Duly filled and signed Form 25 – Issuance/permit renewal online form. You will print out the form at the end of the application. You can also access your previous applications by clicking here
  • Two copies of detailed and signed cover letter from the employer/organization/ self, addressed to the Director of Immigration Services
  • Copies of valid national passport
  • Two(2) recent passport size colored photos (for both new and renewal)
  • Current Immigration status if in the country
  • Documents in foreign languages should be translated into English by either the Embassy, Public Notary, or authorized /recognized institution
  • Copy of any previous permit(s) and or pass (es) held
  • Duly certified copies of academic and professional certificates.
  • Curriculum vitae.
  • Duly filled and signed Form 27(Report on Employment)
  • Name of the Kenyan understudy
  • Certified copies of academic/professional certificates and full contracts of the Kenyan understudy
  • Curriculum vitae (CV) for the Kenyan understudy.
  • Full contact-address, email, cell phone, of the Kenyan understudy
  • Clearance letter from relevant institutions.
  • Certificate of company / organization registration.
  • Valid organization Tax Compliance Certificate for new cases, and both organization and individual Tax Compliance Certificatesfor renewals cases from KRA
  • Processing fees non refundable (Kshs. 10,000)
  • Copy of Checklist. click here to download

How to Apply for Permit Class D: (Employment (KEP/D).)

You need to:

    • Create a log in account within the Government of Kenya Single Sign On portal
    • Log in using the account you have created above to access eFNS portal
    • Once logged in the eFNS portal, select the “Apply now” Link
    • Click on the “Submit Applications” tab and select the Permit Issuance/Renewal tab. If you are already logged in to eFNS, you can click here to make an application.
    • After completing the application form, an invoice will be generated which you can see by clicking on “Dashboard” then “Payments” Tab. If you have already logged in eFNS, you can click here to make a payment.
    • If unable to pay using any of the online modes, print your application form by clicking on “Dashboard” then “My Applications” Tab (If you have already logged in eFNS, you can click here to print your application). Present your application with all the requirements at the Immigration headquaters(Nyayo house), for payments and processing.
    • You shall receive automatic notifications via email and on your online account about the progress of your application.